What to Expect - Post-operative Care
No Surprises. The Central Maine Plastic Surgery Team Gives You Everything You Need to Know Following Surgery.
Before you have surgery, we will let you know what to expect following your procedure. Each procedure requires different follow-up care, but there are many steps that remain the same.
After your procedure, you may have bandages over incisions and you may have a kind of elastic or compression bandage. Small drainage tubes may also be present. These tubes are temporary and help you heal by draining excess fluid or blood.
Before you go home, a member of the healthcare team will discuss specific instructions with you and your caregiver. Instructions might include:
- How to care for the surgical site
- How to care for surgical drains
- What medications you will need
- What is normal or abnormal
- What your physical limitations are and for how long
- What physical activities you should/can do
- When to follow-up with your plastic surgeon
- Any conditions or physical reactions that might cause concern and require contacting CMPS
- We welcome and encourage all of your questions and concerns. Prior to your procedure, encourage your caregiver to ask questions before you are released.